Thursday, June 21, 2012

AncestryDNA Results

Got my autosomal DNA results back from Ancestry.com today.  They were a bit surprising:


44% East Asian (Filipino, Chinese, Taino Indian)
27% Southern European (Spanish, Basque)
 6% Pacific Islander (Hawaiian)
 7% Eastern European (?)
16% Uncertain (?)


I'm surprised that East Asian was so high.  My maternal grandfather was Filipino/Spanish, and my maternal GG grandfather was Chinese.  Taino Indian comes from my paternal grandmother's side from Puerto Rico.


Three of my grandparents have Spanish blood, so I thought that percentage would be higher.  I expect the Cuban and most of the Puerto Rican shows up as Spanish blood.


Eastern European?  I have no clue, but I'm really looking forward to finding out where that comes into the mix.  More research coming up!


Uncertain?  What's that, alien blood?  I suspect my paternal grandmother is part African, as her parents are listed as "mulatto" on the Puerto Rican census.  My father's last name, "Corpion", originated as an Old Norse word for "raven", and the Norwegian Vikings did invade Southern France where one of them apparently married, or at least, had a son with a Basque woman, from whom I am descended.  

No comments:

Post a Comment