Monday, November 26, 2012

NG Geno 2.0 Results


I got my National Geographic Geno 2.0 DNA results back on November 21 (they received my samples on 10/22)  Here they are compared to Ancestry's DNA results:  

Geno 2.0 - 
24% Northeastern Asian (Lani)
22% Mediterranean (Richard)
19% Southeastern Asian (Lani)
13% Northern European (Richard)
8% Oceanian (Lani)
5% Southwestern Asian (Lani)
4% Sub-Saharan African (Richard)
4% Native American (Richard)

Ancestry DNA -
44% East Asian (Lani)
27% Southern European (Richard)
7% Eastern European (Richard)
6% Pacific Islander (Lani)
16% Uncertain (Richard)

What I know via my genealogy research - 
Lani's side:
Filipino/possibly Spanish
Hawaiian
Chinese

Richard's side:
Basque
Spanish
Cuban
Puerto Rican (Spanish/Taino/African)
Norwegian
possibly some French

The boundaries for the different regions vary on both tests, but they seem to say pretty much the same thing.  National Geographic obviously has more people who have taken the test around the world, so they were able to fine tune the percentages.

The funny thing is, they also say that I'm 3.5% Neanderthal and 4.4% Denisovan (which is another offshoot of the hominids that left Africa way before modern man)  I keep picturing Fred Flintstone as my ancestor peddling his car down the road, complete with sound effects.

I know it doesn't change who I am, but I find it all fascinating.  It gives me more cultures around the world that I want to learn about :)

For those of you who don't know, Lani and Richard are my birthparents.

I'm thinking of taking the 23andMe DNA test, which gives you medical information, but that will have to wait until I have a few more bucks in the bank, it's quite pricey!

No comments:

Post a Comment